My husband, Bill, loves mousse. It’s one of his favorite desserts. So, for his birthday, just recently, he requested mousse instead of cake. I was glad to oblige and knowing his favorite is chocolate mousse, that’s what I made him. Though, in thinking about mousse, I came across this Mascarpone mousse with roasted strawberries and I was instantly intrigued. I love Mascarpone and the thought of making it into a mousse sounded like and excellent idea.
This is a simple dessert to make and fairly elegant. The flavors are soft and the consistency is so creamy. The roasted strawberries add a bright richness against the soft flavors of the Mascarpone. It’s definitely one way to impress your guests. No one will ever guess how quick it was to put together and they’ll think you’re fancy. This would be a great dessert to serve after some Italian meal.
MASCARPONE MOUSSE WITH ROASTED STRAWBERRIES
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a medium-sized baking dish.
- Add berries and sprinkle with sugar. Add vanilla extract and toss to combine, then spread out over pan.
- Roast 20 to 25 minutes, until soft and tender and much of the juice has released.
- In a large bowl, beat Mascarpone, cream cheese, 4 tbsp sugar and vanilla together until well combined.
- In another bowl, beat cream with remaining 2 tbsp sugar until it holds stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into Mascarpone mixture until combined.
- Pipe or spoon into 6 small dessert cups. Top with roasted berries and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from All Day I Dream About Food