The one thing I love about cooler weather is the opportunity to eat warmer comfort foods like soup. Soup always seems to warm the soul. Plus, it’s usually something fairly simple to make, making it a great dinner option.
The other day I decided to make a pot of this Zuppa Toscana in the crock pot. The house smelled amazing as it cooked. That’s one of the great things about cooking dinner in a crock pot. It cooks during the day while you’re busy just so you can walk in the door and the whole house smells amazing.
This soup is so warm and flavorful and it’s perfect for that chilly evening. The mixture of potatoes, Italian sausage, and onions in a chicken broth with just a touch of cream goes together so perfectly. I think it’s time I make a pot of this for the family again soon. It never disappoints.
SLOW COOKER ZUPPA TOSCANA
Serves: 4 to 6
1 lb. sausage
16 oz. can chicken broth
1 quart water (4 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 c. bacon bits (optional)
2 c. kale or Swiss chard, chopped
1 c. heavy whipping cream
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Place cooked sausage, chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes and onion in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and turn crock on High for 3-4 hours until potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Optional: Mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher for texture.
- Turn the slow cooker off and add the kale or Swiss chard.
- Return the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream and serve.
Original recipe from Get Crocked
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana”
Sounds like a lovely autumn feast.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! 😊 It really is pretty comforting.